Initially drawn to design and architecture, Robert Clergerie discovered the world of shoes in 1970. He fell in love with the profession and its technical aspects straight away. He perfected his craft over the course of several years working in Romans-sur-Isère, at the heart of the French shoe industry. In 1978, Robert Clergerie acquired a longstanding manufacturing site in Romans-sur-Isère; in so doing, he gained access to archives dating back to 1895 and the expertise of top shoemakers, a legacy which enabled him to master the entire production process very quickly, on a level in line with his standards. The Clergerie brand was established in 1981 and opened its first boutique at 5, rue du Cherche-Midi in Paris shortly after.